Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Why Time Travel Is Impossible

I was on the 'can' doing what I always do there; provocative philosophical thinking, and I noticed something in my magazine. There was an ad for a book that was titled, "What If Jesus Was Never Born?" or something like that. And I got thinking of what if our Savior was never born, or was born years later. How would the world be different? What if we created a time machine and the devil went back in time and kill baby Jesus. WOW! What ramifications that would have! So then I started contemplating the idea of time travel, is it possible? Can I go back and not have made an idiot of myself on that date? Could I have stopped the planes from hitting the Twin Towers on 9-11? What if, what if? My conclusion to all these questions was, no. And let me explain.

For time travel to be possible God would have to be able to do it, right? God would have to want to and have a need to. But for God to have that want or need to time travel it would have to be for a purpose of correcting the past. Why? Because God had the whole world planned and thought of from day 1 and before that, before the creation of the Universe. He knew where I would be and what I would be doing today a million years ago. So since God knew all this from the beginning, for him to correct it would require a mistake and or a lack of knowledge on his part, which would contradict His divinity. God doesn't make mistakes or have a lack of knowledge; if he did he wouldn't be God. So by this circular assessment we know that God cannot through his divinity time travel into the past because it would go against his perfection. For him to go back he would need a reason and that reason would contradict his Holiness.

Now some skeptics will say that we can do things God can't do, i.e. Sin. But that's not the same and in no way does this impede his omnipotence. Man can sin but God can't for the same reason he can't time travel. God can't do these things not cause he's stopping Himself, but because He is Holly and Holly cannot sin. It's like trying to create a round triangle, it just can't be done. And we can't time travel just because God allow for it to happen. He planned it all, and He's not going to let us ‘Man' screw it up.

Now for argument sake when I say time travel I'm referring only to traveling to the past, not the future. Though we know some of the future through God's revelation to a few people like John and the other prophets, they did not nor could they travel to the future to affect the outcome. They were just given a vision, that's all. So I am just referring to time traveling to the past. We cannot affect what has not yet occurred. We can only be shown through prophecies of what is to come.

Now there are other reasons why time travel is impossible other than it contradicting God's divinity. One, if we could go into the past what would stop Satan from going there and killing the baby Jesus to stop the messiah from coming. God would not in anyways allow for that to happen.

Also time is linear and for time travel to be possible it would have to be non linear. But then you get into the whole ‘space time continuum' debate. Which I know nothing about.

So there you have it. A short but powerful argument for why time travel is impossible. I know not many will argue with the logistics of it; any logical thinker will come to the same conclusion. They only might argue the theological aspect of it. But I just wanted to bring that theological view to it so that's why I'm writing.

And as for those dreamers out there who wish to relive high school, I want to apologies that I had to pop your bubble and bring you back to reality.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home