Thursday, May 12, 2005

Pablo Paredes

If you're not familiar with whom Pablo Paredes here is a short run down.

On December 6, 2004 Pablo Paredes, a Navy sailor (PO3) stood outside his ship, the USS Bonhomme Richard refusing to board as it deployed to the Persian Gulf. Why? Because Pablo felt it wrong to help transport Marines to fight an unjust and illegal war. The military thought differently and four months later on May 11, 2005 found him guilty of missing his ship for deployment, punishable by up to one year in prison.

I think that really Pablo just didn't want to be in the Navy anymore and wanted an easy way out, one that looked glorious. What's funny is the night before his trial there was a rally in support for Pablo held by many different antiwar groups around San Diego. This was not surprising since the antiwar movement in San Diego is using Pablo like a bus stop bathroom to further their futile movement. There they had speakers who were deserters themselves talking in support for Pablo and denouncing Bush and this war. What I found humorous was that I had attended this spectacle with CITIZEN SMASH, (who gives a more detailed account) as back up so that he could ask Pablo a few questions. One of which was "Is there such a thing as a just war? and should the U.S. military be disbanded? Pablo's response was: There is no such thing as ‘just war.' All militaries should be disbanded, and we should start with the world's largest (meaning us). Now, I know I have covered a ‘Just War' here on my blog, and my conclusion is that I too hate war but it's a part of us, it always has been since our beginning and it will till our end. But Pablo's answer I had to laugh at since if we did what he suggests every country that holds a grudge would annihilate us. But then again, I have to realize that this is coming from a coward, a person who never learned the meaning of commitment and honor. The speakers kept praising Pablo and the crowd kept clapping for him. It was really hard for me to not stand up and denounce this act of treason. But I kept my cool and respected them since I came into their place of worship. But I was consoled on my way home with the knowledge that deep down these people, no matter how hard they try will never win. They will be doing this for every war that the U.S. will ever enter but will never win because defending freedom and democracy here and around the world will always come out victorious. I really wish I could have asked them how they think we should have handled Hitler back in the day, but I think I know their answer… No War!



Pablo-Dec. 6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home